High Fiber Diet:
A Simple Colon Cleansing Solution
Following a high fiber diet is an important step in maintaining a healthy colon. Eating foods high in fiber is a simple way to help the digestive system function more efficiently, while also nourishing the colon.
What Is Fiber
Let's start with a simple definition. Fiber is a type of carbohydrate that passes through the digestive system without being broken down into nutrients - it is virtually unchanged. As you may know, carbohydrates are the main source of energy for all functions of the body.
Two Types Of Fiber
There are two types of fiber that we can consume through a high fiber diet.
- Soluble Fiber dissolves in water. It helps increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system. These bacteria help produce natural antibiotics that eliminate the harmful bacteria - such as E. coli, Salmonella and Campylobacter.
- Insoluble Fiber does not dissolve in water. It acts as a natural laxative by improving the elimination process and preventing constipation.
Both forms of fiber are and essential part of maintaining a healthy colon an digestive system - one free of toxins and harmful bacteria.
How Does Fiber Work
A diet high in fiber helps support a healthy digestive system in many ways. Here are the main functions of the digestive system and colon that benefit from consuming foods high in fiber...
- Fiber helps sweep debris and waste materials from the colon.
- Fiber helps stimulate peristalsis, which is the wave-like muscular contractions of the bowel. This helps decrease bowel transit time.
- Fiber holds moisture in the colon, which helps soften the stool.
- Fiber helps nourish the colon.
Foods High In Fiber
It's evident that a fiber rich diet plays a critical role in maintaining a healthy colon and digestive system. A well-balanced diet should contain 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day. The sad truth is most Americans eat less than half of that.
In order to follow a diet high in fiber, you need to know which foods contain the best source of fiber. Here is a list of foods high in fiber...
- Whole grains such as whole-grain breads, all-natural cereals, whole-grain pastas, and brown rice
- Legumes such as dried peas, beans, lentils
- A dietary fiber supplement such as Metamucil
A Higher Fiber Diet Is Key To A Healthy Colon
The information on this page clearly shows the many wonderful benefits associated with following a diet high in fiber. In order to allow your digestive system to function properly, and maintain a healthy and clean colon - you need to consume foods high in fiber.
In addition to your diet, you also need to exercise, drink plenty of water, take digestive enzymes and clean your colon on a regular basis.
Following a high fiber diet is only one part of the overall process of keeping your colon clean and healthy.
Return To Healthy Colon Tips
Return To High Fiber Diet Top
Return From High Fiber Diet to Colon Cleanse Home Page